Sunday, April 7, 2013

Things I Like About Pope Francis

First, he seems to talk about the Devil and hell. A lot. Consider this from when he was still a cardinal:

Let's not be naive: This (the redefining of marriage) is not a simple political fight; it is a destructive proposal to God's plan. This is not a mere legislative proposal (that's just its form), but a move by the father of lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God... 

Pretty good. Now, how about these comments:

Let us remember this: God judges us by loving us. If I embrace his love then I am saved, if I refuse it, then I am condemned, not by him, but my own self, because God never condemns, he only loves and saves.

Then there's this:

When we do not profess Jesus Christ, the saying of Léon Bloy comes to mind: "Anyone who does not pray to the Lord prays to the devil." When we do not profess Jesus Christ, we profess the worldliness of the devil, a demonic worldliness.

This reminds me a lot of what the Scripture tells us in Psalm 95:

For all the gods of the Gentiles are devils 

Second, it seems that the rumors we heard from Fr. Fessio via Steve Ray are true. Pope Francis isn't well-liked by a lot of other Jesuits. Check out this entry over on Rorate for some indication of this. Hopefully, things there are calming down a bit.

No comments: