Monday, January 24, 2011

The Counter-Counter-Syllabus

In his pre-Pope days, Cardinal Ratzinger once referred to Gaudium et Spes, Vatican II's pastoral constitution on the Church and the world, as a "counter-syllabus." This was a reference to the document as a balancing item when compared with Blessed Pius IX's Syllabus of Errors. On a side note, he was also known to have commented that Gaudium et Spes was "positively Pelagian."

Weird stuff, I know.

Thanks to EWTN via Rorate, we now have access to a call from Bishop Athanasius Schneider of Kazakhstan for a Counter-Counter-Syllabus that would condemn the misinterpretations of Vatican II and provide authoritative guidance of the conciliar teachings in the light of tradition. Such a document would be so trou-droppingly awesome that I can't even begin to put it into words.

I haven't made it through the whole thing. Yet. I will post a full review when I have, though. In the interim, take a look for yourselves and prep some comments for when I get my own post up about it.

1 comment:

Alexander said...

I am now study religion at a Catholic University and it would be a great asset to have a document(s) like that. Especially to clarify the gobbledygook they make us read.