Thursday, May 20, 2010

Now That The Voting Is Over

Let me say that I'm surprised that Brave New World came out the winner. Sure, there were only 7 votes, but for me, Logan's Run is the clear winner. I agree that we're pretty much already at the level of folks wandering around with no other purpose than to eat, drink, bang, and be merry. The divergence between the two images of the future, though, is the level of toleration granted to the non-conforming.


Personally, I think we're all screwed in the long term. There aren't going to be "reservations" for the folks who don't fall in line with modernity. We (and I use the term for the like-minded, since I grant that I might not be here to see it) will be left for the Sandmen to exterminate.

If this sounds grim, that's because it is. It's also what should be expected from the End of Days (whenever that is; again, don't take this as a prediction of something imminent). As crappy as Brave New World might be. It's going to be roses and rainbows compared to the reality.

Yeah, I've had a bad couple of weeks. Maybe that's coloring this post a little. Maybe I've been watching too much of the news. I'm honest that I could be biased right now. I'm willing to entertain scenarios that the three possibilities that were the subject of the poll are off-base. Anybody want to give that a shot?

No comments: