Friday, August 22, 2008

All Generations Shall Call Me Blessed

ChristianityToday isn't a Catholic site, but this story should appeal to all Catholics. Basically, this lady, an ex-Catholic, bought a house and was left with a statue of Mary by the previous owners. Myself, I know plenty of Protestants here that would have had a jolly good time destroying such a thing. At least, that's what they would tell you. I've often wondered how deep the commitment to iconoclasm runs. Could you smash or tear up a representation of God's Mother without at least some hesitation?

I know folks who probably could. We know the Deformers took delight in destroying works of holy art. So it happens. I like to think that most folks would be like Mrs. Button in the article, though. Anyways, this is a great story.

Her presence makes some of my neighbors nervous and they’ve expressed their concern that I might be tempted to pray to her (gasp!). Others eye me warily, wondering if I’ve fallen off the Protestant bandwagon. I smile. I explain. I know they don’t understand, but her presence is not for their benefit—it’s for mine.

No comments: