Monday, March 2, 2009

I'm Watching a Lot of Protestant TV These Days

My wife thinks that I'm losing my mind. I can't help it, though. It's far and away the most entertaining stuff that's on. Maybe a feature on my favorite tv preachers is due.

Anyways, I was watching Leroy Thompson and some other show that I can't recall the name of. Love Worth Sharing, maybe? Whatever it was, they had a big fake Ark brought in straight from the set of Indiana Jones.

What both of these guys had in common was that they couldn't talk about anything but God, the Almighty Lottery Ticket. Comments like, "I don't serve a broke God," and, "Get what you want without hard laboring," were all over the place. Bible verses like Zechariah 8:12 were used to justify this:

But there shall be the seed of peace: the vine shall yield her fruit, and the earth shall give her increase, and the heavens shall give their dew: and I will cause the remnant of this people to possess all these things.

Of course, the context of this really doesn't give much indication of God giving you lots of money and your never having to work again. I think most folks would say that it's Messianic and shows the ecclesiological development of the Church from the Jews. But, hey, who am I to question great minds such as these.

The whole message, though, really seemed to be "Blessed are the poor, but only when God gives you cash."

No comments: