Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Anglican Liberal calls Conservative Push "Demonic"

Oh, those wacky liberals, proving once again that they will tolerate anything except orthodoxy. Here we have an Espicopalian "bishop", John Chane of Washington, telling the Times:

"I think it's really very, very dangerous and I think it's demonic ... the Episcopal Church has been demonised. It has been a punching bag and I'm sick of being a punching bag as a Bishop and I'm sick of my church, my province being a punching bag. Do we deserve criticism, absolutely. No question about it."

Yeah, but John, why do you deserve the criticism? The Times doesn't really shed any light on whether he has considered this question with any depth. My guess is that he has not, judging from this quote, at least:

Chane, whose diocese covers the American capital, said: "I think it's really very dangerous when someone stands up and says, 'I have the way and I have the truth and I know how to interpret holy scripture and you are following what is the right way.'

This remark comes off as quite stupid for a couple of reasons. First, isn't this precisely what the liberals are doing? Ms. Schori has informed us that those resisting women bishops are misogynists with a poor understanding of Church history. Isn't she saying that she and her ilk know the "way" and that all the misogynists are wrong? Aren't you making the same claim, Mr. Chane, by calling those people's ideas "demonic"? You know better than them, right?

Second, Mr. Chane's comments would completely repudiate the idea of the office of bishop in the first place. What exactly do bishops do, if not teach? To teach, one must make some sort of claim to a superior judgement on what is being taught. Mr. Chane seems to deny this.

Third, Mr. Chane dives headfirst into the well of relativism without appearing to care one whit about the consequences. If you can't say that you have the way, there's nothing to stop the breakaway bishops from striking off to find someone who does.

It's guys like Chane that make sure the Anglicans aren't demonized. People are too busy laughing to get to that point.

No comments: